Hunting & Fishing License

General Information
Hunting and fishing licenses are available at the Town Clerk's Office. To obtain a hunting, bow hunting or trapping license, a previous hunting license or sportsman education certificate must be presented. To purchase a Resident license of any type, proof of residency is required (see below). Please note that a back tag is not sufficient proof of sportsman education, and a previous hunting or fishing license is not proof of New York State residency. For information on Sportsman Education Courses being offered in your area, or to obtain a duplicate training certificate, you may call 1-888-HUNTED2.

Acceptable Proofs of Residency:
  • NYS Driver's License
  • NYS Vehicle Registration
  • NYS Non-Driver's ID
  • NYS Income Tax Information (W-2 or IT201). Please note that pay stubs are not acceptable proof.
  • Voter's Registration or current letter from Board of Elections
  • Lease
  • Student ID
  • Religious Verification (Amish, etc.)
  • Military LES/Orders

Age Requirements
Anyone who is 16 years of age or older must have a fishing license in order to fish. Minors under the age of 12 may not obtain a hunting license nor hunt wildlife.

License Year
Licenses and permits are valid from October 1 through September 30.

Free Licenses
Free Small/Big Game, Fishing, and Trapping licenses are available to NYS residents who have the appropriate Sportsmen Education and are active service members of the NYS Militia, US Reserve Forces, or certain members of the US Armed Forces. For more information, call (518) 402-8843 or visit the DEC web site at

Lost Licenses
A current year lost license may be replaced at any license issuing outlet at a cost of $5 for each license type. Big game carcass tag sets or turkey carcass tag sets may be replaced at a cost of $10 per tag set. There is no charge to replace a lost back tag.

For Further Information
For further information, please visit the DEC's web site at