• Facebook

Staff Contacts

Shawn R. Crater

Water Systems Supervisor

(607) 562-8443 ext. 228

Pam Kowulich

Principal Account Clerk

(607) 562-8443 ext. 227

Joshua Stermer

Water Operator in Charge

(607) 562-8443 ext. 227

James Brarens

Opertaor In Training

(607) 562-8443 ext. 227

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm


(607) 562-7063




476 Maple Street

Big Flats, NY 14814

United States

See map: Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

What is the responsibility of the homeowner in getting the water from the main to the house?

The homeowner is responsible for the repair of any service leaks between the curb box in front of the house and the meter (see next Q&A). The Town will repair any leaks between the curb box and the water main and any leak in the water main itself.

I need to get my shut-off valve replaced. What is the standard procedure?

The shut-off valves on either side of the meter are the responsibility of the homeowner. The supply to the house will have to be turned off in order to allow the valve replacement. Please see the Main Shut-Off Valve section for more information.

How can I prevent my water service or pipes from freezing during winter months?

To prevent your service or the pipes within your home from freezing under very cold conditions, you can take a couple of simple precautions: * If pipes are located against exterior walls, make sure they are exposed to the warmer air of the house. For example, if your kitchen sink is located against an outside wall of your house, open the cabinet doors to permit the circulation of warmer air around the pipes. * Repair any broken windows that allow the cold air in, especially basement windows. * Turn your heat down not off if you are leaving for any length of time.

What is the average consumption of water per household?

According to the EPA the average household size is 3.5 persons. The average usage per person per day in our Town is about 70 gallons. Our average billing period is 90 days: 3.5 persons x 70 gal *x 90 days = approx 22,000 gallons *This is just a generalization. You can calculate your own average per person by dividing your usage by the number of days in the billing cycle and then by the number of people in your household.

Why does my water have a chlorine taste?

Many people are able to taste or smell extremely low concentrations of chlorine in water and may be able to detect the levels we try to maintain in our water system. We add chlorine to the water distribution system because of its effectiveness in killing germs. Disinfection with chlorine provides critical protection for drinking water consumers. Setting an open container of tap water in your refrigerator overnight will allow the chlorine to dissipate. This also saves water since you don’t have to run the faucet the water runs cold.

Do I have fluoride in my water?

We do not fluoridate our water supply at this time.

Is our water hard and is the hardness harmful?

The water in our system is considered very hard. Our water is measured as having 17 grains or 290 ppm on the Hardness Scale. The hardness is due to dissolved minerals — primarily calcium and magnesium — in the water. The dissolved minerals are not harmful to your health, but can leave water spots and make cleaning more difficult Water Hardness Scale


The Big Flats Water Department maintains the Town’s water supply and the distribution system. The primary responsibilities of the Water Department are:

  • Insure quality and quantity of water meets the needs of the public

  • Compliance with all required State & Federal Drinking Water regulations

  • Maintenance and upkeep of the Town’s water lines, pumps & tanks

  • Repair, replace and install water meters, touchpads, curb boxes

  • Tap mains for new services

  • Inspect new service connections

  • Mark out water lines to allow safe digging (DigSafelyNY)**

  • Read Meters

  • Bill customers on a monthly or quarterly basis

  • Customer service for our water customers

  • Point of contact for real estate agents, contractors, engineers etc.

**If you are going to dig on your property please call 1-800-962-7962 or 811 to have utilities marked out. For more information click here.